Feature Post

Top

Good books? GoodReads.com


While browsing for online books, along with the moment of luck I "stumbled upon" this GoodReads.com!

Though, I was not expecting the website would list those classic collection. I was amazed to see a collection of books they have - you name it, they have it. Plus reviews as well; and reviews are of the type, worth reading.

Among several, one the things that I liked is that you can find old books as well; for instance I was able to find a collection of Mumtaz Mufti, Allama Iqbal, Bano Qudsia, 'Udas Naslein' by Mohammad Hussein, Paulo Coelho, Stefan Covey, Benazir Bhutto, Nelson Mendela... Man!


I was glad to find Alakh Nagri, Talash, Muftiyane and others. I think myself and Mumtaz Mufti has an inward relationship, probably because I've read him alot, almost all of his writings.

I've learnt that we meet many people in our lives and love many, be eternal or fleeting. Regardless of the time that love is shared, or held on to, the depth, the "intensity", the interwoven-sense-of-purpose varies with the passage of time. We may not always love the person that we love now; we may not even always remain with the person that we love and yet we may love them forever!

I have learnt alot from his thoughts. So +1 for that! (Plus'One-ish? Stackoverflow-flu! :0)

When I used to work in Islamabad, I became friends with the this boy who had access to a library. He used to lend me a book on every Friday(weekend) on the promise that I would return that on Monday; and every Monday I would tell him the name of book to bring the next weekend. And I remember the first time I got a grip of 'Alipur ka Ayli', how I couldn't get away from that book, and finished the ~1400 paged book in two days. I think thats the record earliest read that I have. I am a slow reader.

The thoughts, the intellect - the empathic decisions, the life style, the courage, and the ways to achieve a varied level of human'ic-frequency to understand people - well, they call it Emotional Intelligence.

A paraphrasis popping in my mind, regard the courage, its worth listening(read: reading):

"Courage is a hard thing to figure. You can have courage based on a dumb idea or a mistake, but you’re not supposed to question adults, or your coach, or your teacher because they make the rules. Maybe they know best but maybe they don’t. It all depends on who you are, where you come from. Didn’t at least one of the six hundred guys think about giving up and joining with the other side? I mean, Valley of Death, that’s pretty salty stuff. That’s why courage is tricky. Should you always do what others tell you to do? Sometimes you might not even know why you’re doing something. I mean, any fool can have courage.

But honor, that’s the real reason you either do something or you don’t. It’s who you want to be. If you die trying for something important then you have both honor and courage and that’s pretty good. " - The Blind Side

Heres how it works; also if you like it(the GoodReads.com), and if you do blog, then here is a small tutorial that would tell you how to add the goodread books gadget on your blogger. If you are still curious here is a small review about the website by CrunchBase.

Happy reading, and have nice weekend!